If You Have Bed Bugs, Don’t Despair - Here Are Some Tips for Managing Them
Bed bugs are flat, oval, reddish-brown, and only about 1/4 inch long. Clues that these pests are in the home are little black dots (fecal spots) of excrement and cast-off skins found in mattress seams, corners of drawers, or even behind pictures on the wall, and the area surrounding the bed.
Ortho has a systemic solution that helps you DETECT, KILL and KEEP THEM OUT of your house.
To DETECT the problem, use Ortho® Bed Bug B Gon Max® Bed Bug Traps (These are are perfect for travel as well). The traps feature a scientifically proven attractant that is guaranteed to lure bed bugs from their hiding places, helping you detect and trap them.
To KILL & KEEP OUT bed bugs, do the following:
- Tumble-dry bedding and clothing on high heat for two full cycles. For delicate items, dry on two cycles at the highest heat the fabric can tolerate.
- Gently brush hard surfaces like furniture, drawers, and bed frames to remove any eggs. Dispose of the eggs in the same way as noted above.
- Vacuum mattresses, furniture, baseboards, floorboards, crown molding, picture frames, rugs, and carpeting. Empty whatever you vacuum up into a plastic bag, seal it, double-bag, and put it into an outdoor garbage bin.
- For the bed bugs you see, apply Ortho® Bed Bug B Gon™ MAX Bed Bug Killer to cracks and crevices on and around baseboards, floorboards, bed frames, closets, door and window frames, and everywhere else you suspect bed bugs may be lurking (including other places family members tend to relax, such as the couch). Use for visible bed bugs and spray until damp.
- For the bugs you don’t see, apply Ortho® Bed Bug B Gon™ Diatom Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Killer to the above-mentioned surfaces. You can use this product for both bed bug control and prevention. Diatomaceous earth may transfer between bed bugs, helping to control the problem quickly and prevent further infestation. This product provides residual control, as long as it’s present, and you can repeat applying as required.
- Bed bugs can be very hard to control since they are so good at hiding and can survive months without a blood meal. To check whether they’re still present, place Ortho® Bed Bug B Gon Max® Bed Bug Traps around the bed to lure any remaining bugs from their hiding places. If any bugs are still hiding, repeat the steps above, or call a professional.
- With all products, be sure to read and follow the directions on the label.
Here Are Some Steps to Take to Help Keep Bed Bugs From Returning:
- Caulk cracks and crevices, especially around baseboards and decorative molding, so bed bugs can’t hide in them or use them to travel from one room to another.
- Wrap mattresses and box springs in mattress encasements to keep new bed bugs out, and kill any stray ones trapped inside.
- Keep beds away from the walls, and don’t allow bedspreads and blankets to touch the floor.
- Pick up loose items and clear clutter so bed bugs have fewer places to hide.
- Inspect and clean furniture, mattresses, box springs, and bed frames before bringing them into your home. If possible, avoid purchasing used furniture.
- Check the seams of your clothing (a favourite hiding place) and luggage before bringing it back into your home after traveling.
Here's What to Do if You're Traveling:
Place your luggage in the bathtub or bathroom of your hotel room. Bed bugs are less effective at traveling up slippery surfaces like tile.
- Inspect the room for any signs of infestation, such as fecal spots and cast-off skins.
- Activate the Ortho® Bed Bug B Gon Max® Bed Bug Traps and place it under the bed.
- Leave the room for an hour and check the trap upon your return.
- If signs of bed bugs appear, spray your items with Ortho® Bed Bug B Gon™ MAX Bed Bug Killer and/or with Ortho® Bed Bug B Gon™ Diatom Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Killer.
- Notify the hotel immediately of the infestation.
Armed with these tips and techniques, you will soon be able to rest easy (literally!).