Ortho® Fire Ant Killer Broadcast Granules
Ortho® Fire Ant Killer Broadcast Granules
- Ortho Fire Ant Killer Broadcast Granules quickly destroys fire ants, mounds and queen, and prevents them from coming back so you can enjoy your yard all season long
- 6 MONTHS OF FIRE ANT PROTECTION: Kill fire ants colonies and prevent new mounds from forming for up to 6-months with one broadcast treatment
- KILLS MOUND IN 15 MINUTES: When used as a mound treatment, these fast-acting granules kill the mound in just 15 minutes
- EASY APPLICATION - COVERS 5,000 SQ. FT.: For best results, apply with a Scotts® spreader across your lawn and water in after application, see product label for complete instructions
- USE AS PART OF ORTHO 2-STEP SYSTEM: First, destroy existing mounds and their queens with Ortho Orthene Fire Ant Killer1 (sold separately); then, use Ortho Fire Ant Killer Broadcast Granules to keep new mounds from forming for up to 6 months
- 0.20% Bifenthrin
- Harmful if swallowed, absorbed through skin, or inhaled. Causes moderate eye irritation. Avoid contact with eyes and clothing. Avoid breathing dust. When handling this product, wear long-sleeved shirt and long pants, shoes plus socks, and chemical-resistant gloves made of any waterproof material. User should wash hands before eating, drinking, chewing gum, using tobacco, or using the toilet. User should remove clothing/personal protective equipment (PPE) immediately if pesticide gets inside. Then wash thoroughly and put on clean clothing.
- Nonrefillable container. Do not reuse or refill this container. If empty: Place in trash or offer for recycling, if available. If partly filled: Call your local solid waste agency for disposal instructions. Never place unused product down any indoor or outdoor drain.
Protect your lawn from fire ants with Ortho® Fire Ant Killer Broadcast Granules. It kills fire ant mounds in 15 minutes and protects your lawn for up to 6 months. Don't treat just the infested areas where mounds are visible, treat your entire lawn to control reinfestation of fire ants from neighboring areas. For best results apply with a Scotts® spreader when ants are most active (morning or late evening) and when temperatures are between 65º and 80º F, and water in after application. Covers 5,000 sq. ft. of residential lawn space. To keep fire ants at bay, use as part of the Ortho® 2-Step System - use Ortho® Orthene® Fire Ant Killer 1 (sold separately) as a first step to destroy existing mounds, then, use Ortho® Fire Ant Killer Broadcast Granules to prevent new mounds from forming for up to 6 months. Trust Ortho® Fire Ant Killer Broadcast Granules to not just kill fire ants, mounds and queen, but to keep them away as well.
How to Use
- BROADCAST TREATMENT: Apply uniformly over your lawn using the suggested spreader settings. Water lawn after application to wash granules from the lawn foliage. If the soil is not moist, then it is important to irrigate before application.
- MOUND TREATMENT: Apply ½ cup of Ortho® Fire Ant Killer Broadcast Granules over each fire ant mound. A 3 ft. diameter circle around the mound should also be treated. If the soil is not moist, then it is important to irrigate before application. After applying the product, drench the mounds with 2 gallons of water.
Where Not to Use
- Do not apply to hard surfaces, such as sidewalks, driveways, or streets, where the product is likely to wash off into sewers and waterways. Do not allow pesticide to enter or run off into storm drains, drainage ditches, gutters, or surface waters.
Where to Use
- Use on residential lawns.
When to Apply
- Apply during morning or late evening, when it is cool and the ants are most active.
How Often to Apply
- As needed. One application provides 6 months of control.
- Do not water to the point of run-off.
Using with other Products
- This is Step 2 of the Ortho® 2-Step treatment method. Use in combination with Step 1, Ortho® Orthene® Fire Ant Killer1.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do not allow people and pets to reenter treated areas until granules have been watered in and area has dried.
This product is extremely toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates. To protect the environment, do not allow pesticide to enter or run-off into storm drains, drainage ditches, gutters or surface waters. Applying this product in calm weather when rain is not predicted for the next 24 hours will help to ensure that wind or rain does not blow or wash pesticide off the treatment area. Sweeping any product that lands on a driveway, sidewalk, or street, back onto the treated area of the lawn will help to prevent run-off to water bodies or drainage systems.