Ortho® Orthene Fire Ant Killer1
Ortho® Orthene Fire Ant Killer1
- Ortho Orthene Fire Ant Killer1 kills the queen and destroys the mound, treats up to 162 mounds and requires no watering-in to be effective
- KILLS IN MINUTES: This treatment takes only minutes to apply, and begins killing in just 60 minutes, so you can get back to enjoying your yard fast
- KILLS THE QUEEN & DESTROYS THE MOUND: Killing the queen of a fire ant colony is essential to effectively destroying the mound
- EASY APPLICATION: Simply sprinkle the product over each mound when ants are active and leave it to work its magic — no watering-in needed, see product label for complete instructions
- USE AS PART OF ORTHO 2-STEP SYSTEM: First, destroy existing mounds and their queens with Ortho Orthene Fire Ant Killer1; then, use Ortho Fire Ant Killer Broadcast Granules (sold separately) to prevent new mounds from forming for up to 6 months
- 50% Acephate
- Harmful if swallowed. Causes moderate eye irritation. Avoid contact with eyes and clothing. When handling this product, wear long-sleeved shirt and long pants, shoes plus socks, and chemical-resistant gloves made of any waterproof material. Wash the outside of the gloves with soap and water before removing. Wash hands before eating, drinking, chewing gum, using tobacco, or using the toilet. Remove contaminated clothing and wash clothing before reuse.
- Disposal Methods
- If Empty: Nonrefillable. Do not reuse or refill this container.
- Place in trash or offer for recycling if available.
- If Partly Filled: Call your local solid waste agency for disposal instructions.
- Never place unused product down any indoor or outdoor drain.
Don't let fire ants keep you from enjoying your lawn. Stop the takeover by killing the queen and destroying the mound with Ortho® Orthene® Fire Ant Killer. This powerful, easy-to-apply solution destroys the mound and kills the queen to keep the colony from repopulating. It begins killing in 60 minutes, so you can get your yard back fast. One bottle can treat up to 162 mounds. Simply sprinkle powder over the mound and let it work its magic — no need to water-in. Use it as a mound treatment for home lawns and around ornamental plants (including flowers, shrubs, and trees). Follow label instructions to determine how much product is needed based on mound size. For best results, apply product while ants are active. To keep fire ants at bay, use as part of the Ortho® 2-Step System - use Ortho® Fire Ant Killer Broadcast Granules (sold separately) as a second step to prevent new mounds from forming for up to 6 months.
How to Use
- Sprinkle dry powder over each mound (Refer to label for amount to use). Do not water-in. Try not to disturb the mound while treating.
Where Not to Use
- Do not allow to enter water, storm drains, drainage ditches, gutters, or surface waters
Where to Use
- Home lawns and near ornamental plants (including flowers, trees, and shrubs)
When to Apply
- For best results, apply when ants are active. Application made under prolonged hot and dry conditions may be ineffective due to location of ants deep in the nest.
- Do not apply during heavy dew or just before a rain. Treat new mounds as they appear.
How Often to Apply
- As needed
- DO NOT Water-In
Using with other Products
- This is Step 1 of the Ortho® 2-Step treatment method. Use in combination with Step 2, Ortho® Fire Ant Killer Broadcast Granules.
Frequently Asked Questions